Laser Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal
With laser hair removal treatment, you can achieve velvety smooth skin year-round and save yourself hours of potential lost time. When you live in a city like Austin, TX where tank tops, denim cut-offs and bikini tops are part of your regular wardrobe, finding the time to shave every day can quickly become a burden.
How many hours do we actually spend on shaving? According to a recent study in the UK, women spend an average of 72 days in their lifetime shaving their legs, which according to the same study is ironically our most hated beauty ritual. Perhaps it is because shaving feels like such a waste of our limited time.
Add to the fact that that hair will be back in the blink of an eye and it’s no wonder why the majority of women hate shaving. In comparison, women spend 12 days of their lives tanning, and 30 days of their lives tweezing our eyebrows.
Despite our shared loathing of the maintenance that goes into up keeping a stubble-free body, the majority of us begrudgingly continue this tiresome maintenance because we still prefer it to the alternative. However, recent advancements in laser technology have made arduous shaving a thing of the past!
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal treatments work by targeting the melanin in your skin. Melanin is what gives color to our hair and skin. The more melanin that is present, the darker the color of your hair. If you recall from science class, dark colors absorb light whereas lighter colors reflect it. This is the basic principle that laser hair removal works on. In patients with fair skin, melanin is typically concentrated in the hair, giving it a darker color than the surrounding skin.
During laser hair removal treatment, your technician will specifically tune the laser light to be absorbed by the hair follicle pigment. As a result, the focused laser energy is absorbed by the unwanted hair while simultaneously being repelled by the lighter colored skin. Upon being absorbed, this light energy is converted into heat that damages the hair follicle, stunting any future hair growth in that area.
What Are The Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal?
Really, the primary benefit of this procedure is obvious in the name of the treatment itself – you’re able to remove unwanted, often coarse or dark, body hair. Of course, there are plenty of other benefits that you will enjoy, including:
- No Shaving Irritation: Shaving is always an irritating experience, and can leave your skin red and angry looking. It can also lead to razor burn and unsightly bumps, even with the use of advanced creams and lotions on the market.
- Nicks and Cuts: If you’re shaving with a bladed razor, you know the pain, discomfort, and irritation that can come from small nicks and cuts from the blade. There’s also the chance that these will become infected, plus the obvious visibility of these wounds.
- No More Shaving: While it will require multiple treatments to reach this point, you will eventually be able to avoid shaving for very long periods. In fact, some patients do not need to shave at all. They simply schedule additional laser hair removal treatments when they notice hair beginning to regrow once more.
- Targeting Problem Hairs: You might not mind shaving your underarms or legs. Instead, you might struggle with individual coarse, dark hairs that grow far faster than others on your body. Laser hair removal allows you to specifically target these problem hairs.
- Predictable: While every patient is unique, most patients are able to achieve “permanent” hair loss with just three to seven treatment sessions.
Is Laser Hair Removal Really Permanent?
While laser hair removal does result in the near-permanent removal of hair, there are a few things to know about it. One of those is that while this treatment method can eliminate all unwanted hairs, some hair will regrow within a few years. Laser hair removal is capable of permanently reducing the number of hairs that grow but not permanently removing all hair.
Am I A Good Candidate For Laser Hair Removal?
At Personique On The Spot, we have machines that treat all hair color, allowing our technicians to customize each laser hair removal treatment based on the individual’s unique hair and skin type. Our laser hair removal equipment can target blonde, red (skin types 1-3) and skin types 4-6. During your Austin laser hair removal consultation, your technician will determine which techniques and technology will deliver the best results for maximum hair reduction.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
This is a very common question. Since only 20% of the hair grows at any one time, and only the actively growing hair is destroyed by the laser, multiple sessions are needed for complete hair reduction. Five to six treatments are common when treating a targeted region of the body. The number of sessions you need will depend largely on the size of the area being treated, the density of the hair in this area, and the speed of hair growth.
What Areas Can Be Treated?
Virtually any area of the body can be treated using laser hair removal. Some of the most common areas of the body for laser hair removal include:
- Bikini Line
- Upper Lip
- Overall face
This procedure isn’t just for the ladies either. We frequently see male patients who just want less hair growth in areas like the back, chest or face. Laser hair removal is a very effective means for reducing thick, coarse hair growth.
Schedule An Appointment At Personique On The Spot
Our Austin laser hair removal treatments are performed at our medical spa located at Barton Creek Square Mall as well as our 34th street location. Call Personique On The Spot today at (512) 459-6800 to schedule your appointment!