Laser Hair Removal in Austin
Whether it’s a little bit or a lot, fat has a sneaky tendency for showing up in places on our bodies that we would frankly rather it did not. For women, this tends to be the hips, thighs, and belly. For men, localized fat can often manifest in the form of love handles or “man boobs”. Many of us develop localized fat deposits in other areas as age catches up with us, including the upper arms, beneath the chin or in the form of back fat.
Wherever it is, most of us have some region of our body that we’d like to have sculpted and smoothed. Unfortunately, exercise and good nutrition alone don’t always do the trick. While we can tone up and generally get leaner through these means, there is no such thing as “spot reduction”. Meaning if you tend to carry excess fat in an area such as the outer thighs or lower abdomen, even with weight loss, you will still likely carry excess fat deposits in this region.
Despite our shared loathing of the maintenance that goes into up keeping a stubble-free body, the majority of us begrudgingly continue this tiresome maintenance because we still prefer it to the alternative. However, recent advancements in laser technology have made arduous shaving a thing of the past!
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal treatments work by targeting the melanin in your skin. Melanin is what gives color to our hair and skin. The more melanin that is present, the darker the color of your hair. If you recall from science class, dark colors absorb light whereas lighter colors reflect it. This is the basic principle that laser hair removal works on. In patients with fair skin, melanin is typically concentrated in the hair, giving it a darker color than the surrounding skin.
During laser hair removal treatment, your technician will specifically tune the laser light to be absorbed by the hair follicle pigment. As a result, the focused laser energy is absorbed by the unwanted hair while simultaneously being repelled by the lighter colored skin. Upon being absorbed, this light energy is converted into heat that damages the hair follicle, stunting any future hair growth in that area.
What Are The Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal?
Really, the primary benefit of this procedure is obvious in the name of the treatment itself – you’re able to remove unwanted, often coarse or dark, body hair. Of course, there are plenty of other benefits that you will enjoy, including:
- No Shaving Irritation: Shaving is always an irritating experience, and can leave your skin red and angry looking. It can also lead to razor burn and unsightly bumps, even with the use of advanced creams and lotions on the market.
- Nicks and Cuts: If you’re shaving with a bladed razor, you know the pain, discomfort, and irritation that can come from small nicks and cuts from the blade. There’s also the chance that these will become infected, plus the obvious visibility of these wounds.
- No More Shaving: While it will require multiple treatments to reach this point, you will eventually be able to avoid shaving for very long periods. In fact, some patients do not need to shave at all. They simply schedule additional laser hair removal treatments when they notice hair beginning to regrow once more.
- Targeting Problem Hairs: You might not mind shaving your underarms or legs. Instead, you might struggle with individual coarse, dark hairs that grow far faster than others on your body. Laser hair removal allows you to specifically target these problem hairs.
- Predictable: While every patient is unique, most patients are able to achieve “permanent” hair loss with just three to seven treatment sessions.
Is Laser Hair Removal Really Permanent?
While laser hair removal does result in the near-permanent removal of hair, there are a few things to know about it. One of those is that while this treatment method can eliminate all unwanted hairs, some hair will regrow within a few years. Laser hair removal is capable of permanently reducing the number of hairs that grow but not permanently removing all hair.
Am I A Good Candidate For Laser Hair Removal?
At Personique On The Spot, we have machines that treat all hair color, allowing our technicians to customize each laser hair removal treatment based on the individual’s unique hair and skin type. Our laser hair removal equipment can target blonde, red (skin types 1-3) and skin types 4-6. During your Austin laser hair removal consultation, your technician will determine which techniques and technology will deliver the best results for maximum hair reduction.
How Many Treatments Will I Need?
This is a very common question. Since only 20% of the hair grows at any one time, and only the actively growing hair is destroyed by the laser, multiple sessions are needed for complete hair reduction. Five to six treatments are common when treating a targeted region of the body. The number of sessions you need will depend largely on the size of the area being treated, the density of the hair in this area, and the speed of hair growth.
What Areas Can Be Treated?
Virtually any area of the body can be treated using laser hair removal. Some of the most common areas of the body for laser hair removal include:
- Bikini Line
- Upper Lip
- Overall face
This procedure isn’t just for the ladies either. We frequently see male patients who just want less hair growth in areas like the back, chest or face. Laser hair removal is a very effective means for reducing thick, coarse hair growth.
Schedule An Appointment At Personique On The Spot
Our Austin laser hair removal treatments are performed at our medical spa at The Domain and also at our Central Austin location.
Call Us today at (512) 599-8672 to schedule your appointment!